Friday, September 26, 2008

The Results Are In...

And my CT Scan was clear!!! Although I just had my CT on Wednesday afternoon, I put in a call yesterday to my amazing care team at the Tom Baker Cancer Center to see if there was any way I could get the results quickly. They all know Ryan and I well and because of the stress we are under dealing with Ryan's situation, my oncologist gave me a call back within an hour of my request!

When Dr. Webster called me back he first told me that it looked perfect. But when he said the word "perfect", of course my cell phone cut out, so I asked him to repeat it. Once he did, I had a hard time listening to anything else he said. He tried to make a joke with me by saying that my head was clear and they didn't even see a brain, but I was still trying to absorb the word perfect and didn't get it. To say that I feel a sense of relief is a HUGE understatement.

I feel like after 2 years of jail time, I finally have been let out for good behaviour. I learned my lesson about taking my life for granted and have made many changes to reinforce a healthy lifestyle for the rest of my years. I also have Ryan as a daily reminder of how quickly life can change in case I ever choose to forget.

Next week we should meet with Ryan's doctors to discuss next steps for him, but until then my family gets to breathe a sigh of relief and just enjoy life!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tasha,
    Your latest blog entries have let us share some of life's lowest and highest points with you. Congratulations on the "perfect" results of your recent CT Scan. They don't get any better than that, do they!

    The more we hear about the medical team at the Tom Baker Cancer Center, the more we like them. They really seem to appreciate the sense of urgency people have about feedback and test results. Dr. Webster also has a wicked sense of humour if he can crack jokes while delivering such life-changing test results.

    The "jail-time" image that you use to describe the past two years helps us to appreciate the freedom you are feeling at this time. You write about lessons learned, changes made and new directions. Yet, in the midst of your personal victory, you remain on "high alert" for whatever lies ahead.

    Just for today, though, we hope that you and your family are able to stay in this wonderful moment of gratitude and relief. Thank you for letting us be part of it, too.

    Next week the focus will be on Ryan. You have already written about some of the travelling you have done and consultations you have had regarding Ryan's treatment options.

    It is clear to us that your determination over-rides uncertainty and fear. You and Ryan want to know that you are in control of your own lives. You need to be able to choose a course of action based on professional information from every possible source. Without doubt, you are the two most important members of the team of people determined to overcome all the odds and beat this cancer for good. Whatever happens, you will know that you are doing all you can to live each day with hope and purpose. There is great personal power for you in taking such a positive stance.

    Please know that you can count on the constant input of our energy and prayers. We wish both you and Ryan strength of body, mind and spirit in the battle that you are now fighting for his life.

    Sincere well-wishes,
    Louise and David

    ReplyDelete